Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nikkor 35mm f1.4 ais

Recently bought an used Nikkor 35mm f1.4 ais. I've been trying this lens out to check out its potential. In my opinion, this lens is not as stellar as some people claimed to be. But for the 2nd hand price I paid for this lens, I would said it's not a bad deal. I want to see what I can shoot with it for a couple of months before I decide whether I should sell it or keep it.

In my opinion,
-Sharpness: It is the softest f1.4 prime I've used so far when shooting at f1.4. Very sharp after f2.
-CA: Horrific at widest aperture. It has a veiling effect when shooting at f1.4. It is probably "OK" for portrait.
Bokeh: Terrible. Bokeh is very "busy" even at f1.4.

While this Nikkor 35mm f1.4 is temporary being my fast wide angle, let hope that Nikon will announce a new AFS 35mm f1.4G soon.






No comments: